Advance Care Planning in Canada:
A National Framework and Implementation
The long term goal of Advance Care Planning in Canada: A National Framework and Implementation is to raise the awareness of Canadians about the importance of advance care planning and to equip them with the tools they need to effectively engage in the process. The secondary goal is to prepare professionals/health care providers with the tools they need so they can facilitate and engage in the process of advance care planning with their clients.
Advance Care Planning in Canada: A National Framework and Implementation is a five-year project that will:
- Complete a needs assessment/environmental scan identifying the basic components of a National Framework.
- Develop a National Framework through a national consultative process - that remains flexible and facilitates collaboration across sectors.
- Implement the key recommendations in the framework relating to education of professionals/health care providers and public awareness/education. This will include:
- Engaging professionals/health care providers in advance care planning.
- The development and dissemination of tools for professional/health care provider education.
- Educating/raising the awareness of consumers/the public.
- Engaging consumers/the public in the process of advance care planning.
Introducing our new video which encourages Canadians to start the conversation about end-of-life care. To view the video and for more information on Advance Care Planning please visit our Speak Up: Start the conversation of end-of-life care website.
Click here for a copy of the Advance Care Planning in Canada: National Framework. A National Framework and Implementation.
The project will result in collaboration across Canada to engage professionals and citizens in advance care planning. This is a project of the Canadian Hospice Palliative Care Association, but is being undertaken under the guidance of a Task Group which brings together a number of partners.
For more information about Advance Care Planning in Canada, please contact Louise Hanvey, Project Manager.
Special thanks to our funders